Bletchley Park's picture

This is a lovely sound and very nice restoration. Videos show the first run out of the garage with a running engine for tests of a SturmGeschutz III Ausf F/8 when it was restored in 2012. This is the first run after the motor's restoration in the Vehicule Restoration Center of Bastogne. 

StuG III Ausf. F/8 (Sd.Kfz 142/1) was produced between September–December 1942. They were produced 250 units of this version of the assault gun. This version was marked by introduction of an improved hull design similar to that used for the Panzer III Ausf. J / L with increased rear armour. This was 8th version of the Panzer III hull, thus the designation "F/8". 

This hull had towing hook holes extending from side walls. From October 1942, 30 mm thick plates of additional armour were bolted on to speed up the production line. From F/8, the 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48 gun was standard until the very last of the Ausf. G. Due to the lack of double baffle muzzle brakes, a few L/48 guns mounted on F/8s were fitted with the single baffle ball type muzzle brake found in Panzer IV Ausf. F2/G.

This StuG got into American hands in Sicily, it was from the Hermann Göring Division. It was send to America and Britain for testing and later came to the museum in Bruxelles, when it came to the museum it had a different gun and also unusual is that the StuG has welded armour on the superstructure front, glacis and nose. When the museum in Bruxelles got no more room for the little thing it was send to this new museum


Philippe De Clercq (Youtube) | Wikipedia

WW2 Timeline: 

Nation in war: 


No votes yet