The La Roche Museum of the Battle of the Ardennes is the only Battle of the Bulge museum to present a British section.
Of course the American and German army with their respective arms and vehicles are well represented in attractive dioramas and showcases. The museum has however decided to put the accent on the British participation during the Allied counter-attack (3 to 16 January 1945) and the liberation of La Roche and the villages of the left bank of the River Ourthe.
The British veterans have appreciated the fact that the museum is giving them a well deserved representation and they regularly come back to La Roche to visit. Veterans and regiments implicated in the liberation of La Roche have also donated uniforms and equipment that can be seen on the fist floor of the museum.
Covering close to 1500 square meters, spread over three levels reached by a large staircase and an elevator for the less valids. The visitor will discover over 120 mannequins of American, English, German and even Scottish soldiers with their equipment and armament, as well as uniforms donated by veterans of the Battle of the Bulge. He will also discover an important collection of light and heavy arms, photographic documents, personal objects and equipment found on the battlefield. Also some 20 military vehicles.
To Be Seen :
- "The Gun Room " : exhibiting some 90 rifles, pistols, revolvers and the famous Enigma decoding machine of Polish origin.
- "The Veterans Room" were the donations by veterans of the Batlle are assembled.
- Wall maps of the successive stages of the Battle of the Bulge
- Film with period pictures of the liberation of La Roche in January 1945.
- Opening hours from 10:00 to 18:00 (last admission 17h)
- January, February and March only open weekends
- Open the week from Monday 16 February to Friday, 20 February (Carnival leave)
- From 1 April to 31 December open every day except Mondays and outside school holidays.
- The months of July and August and during the school holidays and public holidays open every day.
- Annual leave on Thursday November 12 to Monday, December 7 included.
Musée de la Bataille des Ardennes