The Bastogne War Museum covers the Second World War, from its origins up to autumn 1944, and then focuses on the Battle of the Bulge. Key events of the war and the combatants' ordeal are reproduced here with the aim of clarifying the broad sweep of its history. The centre provides a very clear picture of how the civilians lived during the occupation, during the battle itself, and afterwards. The many consequences of what was probably one of the most serious battles in world history are very clearly described.
Housed in a brand-new building displaying an adventurous architectural concept, the Bastogne War Museum is located on the former Bastogne Historical Centre site. The original set design of this commemorative centre is the latest in modernity. The new journey through the museum is dotted with flashbacks, genuine multi-sensory, three-dimensional scenes in a completely new format.
The route through the museum is organised into a set of sections in order to streamline your visit.
- Introductory section
- Section 1 - Between crises and wars
- Section 2 - Flashback number one - The World Conflict
- Section 4 - Towards liberation
- Section 5 - The Battle of the Bulge
- Flashback - Bastogne, the offensive (December 18 to 26 1944)
- Flashback - Civilians in the battle (December 22 1944 to March 1945)
- Section 6 - Allied victory
- Section 7 - Towards a new world order
Open daily except on Monday (Please note that the Bastogne War Museum is open on Monday during school holidays and public holidays falling on Monday)
10 am to 6 pm:
- from Tuesday until Sunday and public holidays outside school holidays
- from Monday until Sunday and public holidays during school holidays
- open every day (from Monday to Sunday) during the whole month December 2014 in the frame of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
10 am to 7 pm in July-August (every day):
- from Monday until Sunday and public holidays
Closed exceptionally on January 1st and December 25th
Annual closing : from January 5th until January 9th 2015
Reservation compulsory for schools and groups. Booking service is accessible from Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm and 1.30 pm to 5 pm
Bastogne War Museum