As Kailey Fisicaro, The Bulletin’s journalist, reports, Colin Powers, of La Pine (Oregon, USA), a man delighted by rare WWII aircraft, just finished restoring a Piper L-4J used in World War II. He plans to fly on June 19, at the Sunriver Airport.
His garage has been the workplace where Mr. Powers has been working for about 18 months until the finish of his project. During the restoration process, Mr. Power has had to use lots of new parts for the plane nevertheless he’s taken special care to keep everything as authentic as possible. In fact this aircraft looks a new aircraft from nose to tail,
Piper L-4 is the military variant of the Piper J-3 Cub, a small, simple, light aircraft that was built between 1937 and 1947 by Piper Aircraft. With tandem (fore and aft) seating, it was intended for flight training but became one of the most popular and best-known light aircraft of all time. The Cub's simplicity, affordability and popularity — as well as its large production numbers, with nearly 20,000 built in the United States.
The L-4 was used extensively in World War II for reconnaissance, transporting supplies, artillery spotting duties, and medical evacuation of wounded soldiers. The prior owner told Mr. Powers, that this aircraft had been used on the island of Saipan following the battle there. After the battle of Saipan ended in 1944, about 50 Japanese soldiers hid in the island’s jungle, continuing to skirmish with the Americans based there. The Americans responded by dropping leaflets telling the Japanese to surrender instead of dropping bombs. Powers said the plane was built in 1945 and delivered to the Army in June of that year, Kailey Fisicaro tell us in her article.
WATCH this video and read more on The Bulletin's article.