Experience the sights and sounds of World War II when the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Dixie Wing hosts the 12th Annual WWII Heritage Days April 18-19, 2015
The event will be held Saturday and Sunday 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM at the CAF Dixie Wing Historical Airpower Facility, Falcon Field. We bring together re-enactors, WWII vehicles, vintage aircraft, authors, WWII Veterans and exhibits as a living history experience for the entire family. “WWII Heritage Days” is a community celebration that will entertain and educate the entire family.
The weekend will again feature vintage aircraft, period vehicles, education displays, guest speakers and demonstrations, including mock battles between reenactors portraying Allied and Axis troops. Check the Program Schedule for planned activities. Local actors and singers will impersonate 1940’s celebrities and perform 1940′s musical hits throughout the weekend.
Saturday will conclude with “Keep ‘em Flying”, a WWII-theme hangar dance featuring the Peachtree Jazz Edition. Proceeds from the dance benefit historic aircraft preservation and “Education Through Living History”, the group’s WWII history program made available to schools and youth groups free of charge.
Sunday morning will begin with a jeep-top religious service familiar to millions of American servicemen during and since the Second World War.
Commemorative Air Force (CAF) Dixie Wing 2015 WWII Heritage Days Highlights:
- World War II Veterans Meet & Greet - Meet the men and women of The Greatest Generation.
- World War II Veterans Panel Discussions - Hear first hand accounts from The Greatest Generation (Women in World War II, Childhood in World War II Europe, with others to be announced)
- USAAF Mission Briefing - The Airmen Preservation Society will deliver a war-era type briefing for a B-24 raid on Ploesti.
- The Yamamoto Mission - Author Bruce Gamble describes the P-38 Lightning mission that brought down Imperial Japan's Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.
- Warbirds in Review (P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair and B-24 Liberator) - Pilots and aircrew will share their experiences while seated next to some of the aircraft they flew.
- Camp Dixie - Living history in a military biouvac area, complete with tents, vehicles, equipment and personal gear used by Allied and Axis troops.
- Motor Pool - See restored military vehicles from all eras.
- Public Battles: Battle For Germany - Allied and Axis reenactors will fight for a German village.
- Warbirds: P-51 Mustang, FG-1 Corsair, SBD Dauntless, LT-6 Mosquito and more! Aircraft Rides available for purchase!
Commemorative Air Force Dixie Wing