A picture walkaround of Sd.Kfz.162 Jagdpanzer IV L/48. This particular tank is the only one remaining in the World of that exact modification. Development of the Jagdpanzer IV started in 1942 and production started in early 1944 as an intended replacement for the Sturmgeschutz III (Stug III). It offered great protection for the crew thanks to its low profile, front slopping armour and fully enclosed fighting compartment.
The vehicle through out its service life used different versions of a 75mm (7.5 cm) anti-tank gun (see variants below) mounted in its front with a 7.92mm MG and the same Maybach engine of the Panzer Mk IV located in the rear of the vehicle. It had a 4 man crew: driver, gunner, loader and commander.
Principal design variant armed with the 7.5 cm Pak 39 L/48 (calibre Length 48) main gun. The increased Length meant a greater muzzle velocity, thus improving range, accuracy and armour penetration. 769 were produced between January 1944 and November 1944.
THE JAGDPANZER IV TANK DESTROYER SPEC’S “SD.KFZ.162”
- Armament: 7.5mm anti-tank gun & x1 7.92mm MG
- Armour: 60mm Steel (frontal)
- Crew: 4
- Dimensions: Length 6.85m / Width 3.17m / Height 1.85m
- Weight: 24 tonne
- Engine: 296hp Maybach HL 120 TRM
- Top Road Speed: 40 km/h
- Operational Range: 210 km