It's becoming more rare to find a Josef's tank busters. In Eastern Europe is still possible to see some of them. They are impressive. This is the case of this SU-100, which now languishes waiting a collector to be restored.
SU-100 was developed in 1944 as an improvement to the SU-85, built on the same chassis as the T-34-85 tank. It was designed and built at the UZTM (Ural Heavy Machinery Factory, also called Uralmash) in Yekaterinburg. The SU-100 quickly proved itself to be among the best self-propelled anti-tank guns of World War II, able to penetrate 125 mm of vertical armor from a range of 2,000 metres. This was quite capable of defeating any German tank in service. The SU-100 was first deployed in battle in January 1945. The SPGs showed their worth and earned a reputation as a reliable and powerful combat vehicle.
The SU-100 saw extensive service during the last year of the war. It was used en masse in Hungary in March 1945, when Soviet forces defeated the German Operation Frühlingserwachen offensive at Lake Balaton. By July 1945, 2,495 SPGs of this type were produced during the Great Patriotic War. The vehicle remained in service with the Red Army well after the war; production continued in the Soviet Union until 1947 and into the 1950s in Czechoslovakia. These SPGs were supplied to the USSR's allies and took part in a range of local post-war conflicts.
The vehicle also inherited negative aspects from its base tank, such as its outdated suspension construction, its fuel tank positioning in the fighting compartment, and its unfavourable layout for an SPG. The SU-100's barrel length was even greater than that of the SU-85, making manoeuvring difficult on rough terrain and in urban areas.