The Panzertriebwagen No. 16 (Skr. PzTrWg 16 or PT 16) was a German heavy armoured train, powered by a Voith 550hp hydraulic transmission diesel engine, and built by the Berliner Maschinenbau-Gesellschaft Actien vormals L. Schwartzkopff, in 1942. This vehicle was based on a locomotive design for an armoured train (WR 550 D14), and then encased in further armour and equipped with two armoured artillery positions, at both ends of the train.
These were initially armed with two 20 mm anti-aircraft guns (2 cm Flakvierling 38) but this was modified to use two Russian 76.2 mm FK 295/1 cannon (as used on the BP42 armoured trains). The thickness of the armor Panzertriebwagen No. 16 ranged from 31mm to 84 mm, and the vehicle was the heaviest armoured rail vehicle in existence. Only one was built, and this served on the Eastern Front.
By 1943, the train was used as a reserve weapon, patrolling areas that were threatened by partisans. In the spring and summer of 1944, it was in the service of the Army Group Centre (Army Group Mitte), and participated in, amongst others, in the battles of Rawa Ruska and Lublin. It was then withdrawn westwards after the Eastern Front started slipping towards the borders of the Third Reich. In April 1945, PzTrWg 16 took part in the battle of Neuruppin, and between the 1-2 May 1945, was captured undamaged in Neustadt.
After the end of World War II, PzTrWg 16 was pressed into service with the Polish Army, maintaining operational military communications in the areas of service. The train was on operational service in the Bieszczady Mountains, up until the end of 1947, protecting railway routes and election posts against partisans, during the referendum on the 30 June 1946. The same operations were conducted for the elections for the Polish Sejm parliament, on January 19, 1947.
Incorporated into the structures of Polish Army, served in no. 4194 unit, as a part of an armored train. In 1945-47 took part in fights with Ukrainian UPA partisans at Bieszczady area. Later stored on a siding at Przemyśl, before becoming part of Warsaw Railway Museum.