Administrador's picture
Shared by Administrador
 HQ Comando Supremo) July 11, 2014

Panzer III was the common name of a medium tank that was developed in the 1930s by Germany and was used extensively inWorld War II. The official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen III Sd Kfz. 141 (abbreviated PzKpfw III) translating as "armoured fighting vehicle". It was intended to fight other armoured fighting vehicles and serve alongside the infantry-supporting Panzer IV; however, as the Germans faced the formidable T-34, stronger anti-tank guns were needed. Since the Panzer IV had a bigger turret ring, the role was reversed. The Panzer IV mounted the long barreled 7.5 cm KwK 40 gun and engaged in tank-to-tank battles. The Panzer III became obsolete in this role and for most purposes was supplanted by the Panzer IV. From 1942, the last version of Panzer III mounted the 7.5 cm KwK 37 L/24, better suited for infantry support. Production of the Panzer III ended in 1943. However, the Panzer III's capable chassis provided hulls for the Sturmgeschütz IIIuntil the end of the war... (more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_III)


(Source: http://wehrmachtinternetmuseum.tumblr.com/)

WW2 Timeline: 

No votes yet